This is a draft article for now on how to gain a reputation at work, in your profession or environment.
Define your scope.
Landing the context is needed to know in what area you want to become expert or gain expertise.
- Define where is you area or where you want to land
- Define the “heroes” that can lead you or you can take as an example.
- Define who are the antagonists or “villains”.
- Define the problems that exist in the area and major risks.
- Define your baddies or competitors.
- Identify any major changes and forces defining politics.
Understand your place.
Defining the distinction that makes you outstanding is the next step.
- Define what you can do, something significant that makes you stand out.
- Define your baseline where you are towards the distinction.
- Define your destination or goal.
- Point how the goal makes you are fitting in or standing out.
- Identify your place or niche in the area.
- Define on how you add the value to the area, humanity or personality.
- Understand what impression you will make inside the area and outside of it.
- Understand what makes your role model distinctive.
- Finally, clearly understand what makes you distinctive.
Create basis and proofs.
At this stage, we need to build substance and justification for your expertise.
- Define the tools of the trade.
- Define processes, maps, and flowcharts – demonstrate to be able to deliver the service.
- Define case studies.
- Create track record.
- Separate the matter of fact from other information.
- Define pros and cons as for sales collateral.
- Define the relation between you and your role model to the substance.
- Define how you will demonstrate substance.
Demonstrate your values.
On this step, you need to think on how to improve your visibility.
- Understand how to behave with distinction.
- Understand how to maximize the impression.
- Understand how to impress others by ruffling feathers and making waves.
- Try to predict the responses and the backlash.
- Improve your distinction consistently adding value.
- Identify the ideal situation and try to go for it, adding the extra mile.
- Understand how your role model maintains visibility.
- Understand how you will maintain visibility.
Making valuable connections.
Eventually, only connections truly identify your reputation; therefore, increasing the number of connections will contribute to your reputation increase.
- Extend your scope where you can reach.
- Extend the number of your followers.
- Control your power.
- Control your strategy.
- Build political goodwill defining gains for others that you can contribute to.
- Attract sponsors and advocates.
Creating your future.
On this step we are ready on how to consistently achieve the reputation.
- Identify success results.
- Document on how success is recognized.
- Define a clear plan and strategy for each success result.
- Define the needed habits and virtuous circles that will support you.
- Include the steps to enrich your proponents or recruit the party faithful.
These steps shall be taken periodically or after any major changes in your area or in your life.